SAMCEDA Business Updates
COVID-19: Business Update
SAMCEDA has been asked by the County of San Mateo to serve as a business representative for County Manager Mike Callagy and the 21 jurisdictions which make up San Mateo County. We do this in a strong partnership with the leaders of our local Chambers of Commerce.
I spoke with County Manager Callagy this morning about yesterday’s Shelter-In-Place (SIP) Order (effective 12:01AM, on March 17, 2020) and we are working on the following action items:
- CRITICAL CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: According to County Manager Callagy, housing construction of all types – from market rate to affordable, to ADU’s – is allowed under the SIP Order until further notice.
- County Counsel’s attorney staff will begin working today to address questions and gray areas in the SIP Order to better clarify which business operations are exempt and able to continue operating. For instance, cemeteries were not specifically listed as exempt but will be.
- We are constantly updating SAMCEDA’s COVID-19 Business Resource page: Visit the ‘Business Resource’ Page
- SAMCEDA is working with County staff on a San Mateo County Strong Fund similar to San Jose’s fund to help small businesses, non-profits, and individuals with immediate needs
- SAMCEDA will be working with County staff on a 30/45/60 day business recovery plan to support businesses across San Mateo County’s 21 jurisdictions.
- SAMCEDA will be partnering with local chambers to host town halls with business owners to collect and share business impact and support information.
Right now there are many unanswered questions, but trust that SAMCEDA is working constantly with our elected officials, public agency staff, and business leaders to obtain and disseminate critical information as it becomes available.
Rosanne Foust – President & CEO, SAMCEDA
SAMCEDA Board of Directors